Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Poison Ivy Leaf Pins



Finally this costume is 100% complete! The only thing I had left to do was to put some leaves on it so that it was more distinguishable as Poison Ivy. Instead of sewing on leaves I decided to make pins so that I could use parts of the costume for other costumes.


The materials for these include:
-Ivy leaves
-Green thread
-Sewing needle
-Pin backs, I used .75in. You could use a wider one if you wish.
-Hot glue gun and glue sticks
-Scissors


The first thing I did was to cut off all the plastic attaching the leaves together. I left the plastic that was glued to the leaves on. I did cut the plastic very close to the edge so that there was nothing sticking out from each individual leaf.


Then I took the leaves and made a random arrangement that I thought looked nice and piece by piece started tacking them down with tiny stitches. I could have hot glued them together but I've never had great luck with hot glue holding things down.

The fronts look like this:


While the backs look like this:


I sewed the pin backing on to hold it in place and then put hot glue over it to really cement it in place. This also covered the knotted end of the string keeping it from coming apart also. On large groups of leaves I did put some hot clue to keep the ends together since I didn't want the sewing tacks all over the place.


I continued using this method with a bunch more leaves. I made one large group and then some medium ones and a few singles. Eventually I had enough to pin them on the costume. 



I didn't put any on the sides so that my arm movements wouldn't knock them around and potentially rip them off. I also didn't put many on my back since I might be wearing my backpack and they wouldn't be seen anyway.

I will post some worn photos of this in October when we go to the festival. Same goes for my Harley Quinn costume.


Thanks for reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment