Monday, August 11, 2014

Simplicity 4059 - Men's Pants

Well I managed to focus all my energy on sewing this week and was able to turn out this pair of pants.


This post is going to be less of a step by step instructional and more of a pattern review.

I found this pattern to be intermediate on the difficulty scale. This should have been a really easy pattern and it was shaping up to be until I had to put the crotch together. Actually the whole crotchal/fly region was annoying as hell. Once again, like with the shirt, the pictures are unclear and the instructions are vague at best.

You start off with the fly which should be easy enough but putting it all together felt like something was missing and wrong. The two pieces of the fly seem uneven in width and don't line up correctly. I sorta gave up with their instructions and did it my own way that I thought would work. It still looks a little messy but it works.



I used linen for the pants since it would be nice and breathable in the hot Texas heat. I serged the edges of all the inner seams since it was fraying like crazy. For the two main side seams I did a modified turned edge seam. Instead of turning and sewing so they are separate little flaps I sewed them to the pant leg to make two rows on either side of the seam. I thought it looked neat and professional. I was only mad that the inner leg seams couldn't be done the same way because of the crotch being jacked up.

I honestly couldn't even explain properly how to do the crotch. When I went to sew the inner legs together, the top of the legs was 1.5" - 2" shorter than the front part of the middle leg which made no sense because the picture shows it to be lined up perfectly. Then when I sewed from the fly down, that part was way over the top and didn't go together perfectly at all and caused a weird indent in the front of the crotch. So what I basically did was use the seam allowance as a binder to connect the back part of the crotch and the front. If I hadn't done it that way there would have been a hole where all the stuff met together. Then I clipped off the excess from the weird protruding part and it looked a lot better.

I think these pants look really sharp. They did end up being too big for Charles but the tie in the back should tighten it up once I get better cording. The outside design looks good, but construction wise it has some problems. I probably will not make these again. I might look at another pattern if Charles needs new pants.

Below are pictures of the front and back of the pants. When I get the entire outfit all together I will take better pictures and show how they fit.




My next project is a cape for myself. A post about that process will be coming very soon!

Here are links for the other pieces in this costume pattern:
The shirt
The doublet

Thanks for reading.  

No comments:

Post a Comment