Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Simplicity 8162 - Bumroll

This easy project is definitely something that can get done in just a few hours.

I had originally filled my bumroll pretty full. Then I saw some examples of it being a lot less full than mine so I adjusted the fluff. Bumrolls are such a weird concept. These days we are all concerned with big hips/butts but in the 1740s they embraced it. They even enhanced it.

I used scrap fabric for this piece. Part was a soft and thin white fabric used for drapes. Maybe curtain lining? It was part of a mystery batch of fabric I was given years ago. I used this for the ruffle. The body of the bumroll was made from an high thread count Egyptian cotton bed sheet. The ties are made from some twill tape.

I made the ruffle first by sewing 1/4 inch from the bottom edge to make a guide for folding. Then I folded the fabric on the stitching line while ironing it down. Then I folded it over once more to enclose the raw edge and ironed it down. Then I ran it through the sewing machine close to the inside folded edge.


Next I took the sides and folded them in in the same manor and sewed them down.

With that done it was time to work on the body of the bumroll. I cut out the pieces and sewed the twill tape to the spot where the large circles were marked on the fabric. I pinned this inside to keep it from getting caught in the edges when sewing around for the ruffle.


Then I gathered the ruffle down to fit around the curves of the edges. I basted it down to one layer of the body.



 I placed the other side of the body over the ruffle making a sandwich and then sewed it down. Then I trimmed the raw edge and flipped the whole thing right side out and ironed it.


Next I sewed the stitching lines making the separate pockets for the stuffing. The open raw edge was ironed down at its seam allowance and I sewed over the top leaving gaps for the stuffing to go in.

I stuffed the pockets and then ran the openings through the sewing machine again.

And it was done! It came together pretty quickly and only took about 3 hours. The gathering was the longest part. I machine gathered it, but it still needed to be gathered down a bit after.





I don't really see any issues with this pattern or instructions from a technical standpoint. Historical wise I trust American Duchess to put out a well thought out and designed pattern.

To see the creation of the chemise and stays click here and here.

Happy sewing friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment