Monday, July 13, 2015

Simplicity 1091 Part 1 - Poison Ivy Hood


Simplicity just came out with some amazing new patterns! I was so excited I grabbed them as soon as I saw them. I mostly wanted them for the pieces and not the overall costume. Since I'm not a pattern drafter I could use the pieces to build on for future costumes. I loved the particular corset style of the Lori Ann patterns (Dalek/Tardis and DC Comics Villaness). They are long in the torso and that is exactly what I wanted.

The more I looked at the patterns the more I actually fell in love with the Poison Ivy costume. I was thinking of making a steampunk outfit using a mix of the Dalek corset and Joker outfit but I have a special bond with red headed characters and couldn't get the idea out of my head.

I chose to make the costume more similar to Lori Ann's color scheme than the colors on the package. I also didn't like the top that came in the packaging. I plan to use the Snow White top in the Simplicity 1093 pattern with some sleeve alterations.

My local Joann's was closed for the weekend due to a water leak so I drove to Hancock Fabrics to get my supplies. This turned out better because I was able to go by Hobby Lobby and get some grommets (I'll need 70 of them!). They have a better selection than just gold or silver. I also like the Royalty Broadcloth from HF better because it is softer and I don't see as many imperfections in the weave like I do with the broadcloth that's about the same price at Joann's.

For the hood I used hunter green twill, black canvas, and red broadcloth. I ironed all the fabric and cut out the pieces.

I sewed together the lining first and ironed flat the seam and made markings for folding the pleats.



I did the same with the green twill and attached the two pieces together. I formed the pleats and tacked them down and then sewed on the bias tape for the hood opening.


Next I assembled the hood band which will connect to the corset later. I sandwiched some canvas between the two strips of red and green and basted all the edges. On the lower edge that doesn't connect to the hood I sewed bias tape. Then I matched the notches on the hood and the band and basted the two pieces together. Bias tape was then sewn over the remaining edge and it was finished!


The grommets should be installed at this point but I don't want to put them in until I have the corset finished and can accurately gauge where they need to go. I might need the strap shorter or just raise the grommet placement and tuck the strap into the corset. 

I will have photos of it worn and the complete costume when I finish it. But for now enjoy Betty modeling it for me. She is also modeling the Dalek corset mockup.


The hood reminds me of a venus fly trap. I will be adding leaves as embellishments later once the costume is fully complete. 

For part 2 click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment